The Peter Parish Memorial Fund aims to help the next generation of British American historians to embark successfully on a career of scholarly historical research into the nineteenth-century United States. The Fund Committee welcomes applications for grants to help with the cost of travel to the United States for the purpose of research or participating in a conference. It is envisaged that grants will not normally exceed £750.
In order to be eligible applicants must fulfil the following criteria:
- A member of BrANCH.
- Registered for a research degree at a UK university, or have been awarded a research degree from a UK university within the past two years and not yet in full-time, permanent employment.
- Researching an aspect of the history of the United States between 1787 and 1917.
- Planning to make their trip in the twelve months following the competition deadline.
- Not a previous recipient of a Peter Parish Postgraduate Research Award.
There are two rounds of applications each year. The deadlines are JANUARY 1 and JULY 1.
The awards will be announced within a month of each deadline.
Applications should be submitted by email to Dr Rebecca Fraser, BrANCH Secretary, at email@example.com
Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- How effectively has the applicant communicated the importance of their project?
- Has the applicant provided a sensible rationale for their trip (including the details of archives/collections to be consulted, and in the case of applications for conference funding an abstract of the paper to be given)?
- Has the applicant provided a sensible estimate of their expenditure?
- Has the applicant made an effort to secure funding from other sources?
Conditions of Award
- Applications will only be considered for future expenditure.
- Grant recipients should provide a short piece of writing to the committee for publication on the BrANCH website.
- Grant recipients should acknowledge the support of the Peter Parish Memorial Fund in any dissertation or published work resulting from research aided by the fund.
- Grant recipients are encouraged to consider presenting a paper on their research at the subsequent BrANCH Annual Conference and/or BrANCH Postgraduate Conference.
If you have any questions about the award scheme please contact Dr Rebecca Fraser, BrANCH Secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org