The Peter Parish Memorial Fund aims to help the next generation of British American historians to embark successfully on a career of scholarly historical research into the nineteenth-century United States. The Fund Committee welcomes applications for grants to help with the cost of travel to the United States for the purpose of research or participating in a conference. It is envisaged that grants will not normally exceed £750.
*Please note* for the forthcoming 1 January 2021 deadline, in recognition of the difficulties for research posed by Covid-19, BrANCH is widening the remit of the Grants for Postgraduate/Early Career Research scheme to include help with the cost of remote research into the nineteenth-century United States, such as:
- Reproduction of archival materials
- Microfilm (if you can read/access this)
- Subscriptions to online resources
- Copies of published material, or unpublished dissertations, if critical to a project and unavailable either on-line or in the UK
Applicants for help with these costs should complete the standard application form, available on the website, and use the “Details of proposed trip (250 words maximum)” section to detail their proposed expenditures and how these relate to their research. All applications will be judged competitively.
In order to be eligible applicants must fulfil the following criteria:
- A member of BrANCH.
- Registered for a research degree at a UK university, or have been awarded a research degree from a UK university within the past two years and not yet in full-time, permanent employment.
- Researching an aspect of the history of the United States between 1787 and 1917.
- Planning to make their trip in the twelve months following the competition deadline.
- Not a previous recipient of a Peter Parish Postgraduate Research Award.
There are two rounds of applications each year. The deadlines are JANUARY 1 and JULY 1.
The awards will be announced within a month of each deadline.
Applications should be submitted by email to Dr Rebecca Fraser, BrANCH Secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- How effectively has the applicant communicated the importance of their project?
- Has the applicant provided a sensible rationale for their trip (including the details of archives/collections to be consulted, and in the case of applications for conference funding an abstract of the paper to be given)?
- Has the applicant provided a sensible estimate of their expenditure?
- Has the applicant made an effort to secure funding from other sources?
Conditions of Award
- Applications will only be considered for future expenditure.
- Grant recipients should provide a short piece of writing to the committee for publication on the BrANCH website.
- Grant recipients should acknowledge the support of the Peter Parish Memorial Fund in any dissertation or published work resulting from research aided by the fund.
- Grant recipients are encouraged to consider presenting a paper on their research at the subsequent BrANCH Annual Conference and/or BrANCH Postgraduate Conference.
If you have any questions about the award scheme please contact Dr Rebecca Fraser, BrANCH Secretary, at email@example.com