Editorial Assistant to the Co-Editors-in-Chief: Journal of American Studies
Applications are invited for the post of Editorial Assistant to the incoming Co-Editors-in-Chief of the Journal of American Studies, Dr. Sinéad Moynihan and Dr. Nick Witham. The Journal of American Studies is an interdisciplinary journal published jointly by the British Association for American Studies (BAAS) and Cambridge University Press. More information on the Journal is available here: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-american-studies.
The annual salary is £3,600 which is paid on a monthly basis. The successful candidate can expect to work 25 hours per month. The work can be carried out remotely and the candidate does not need to be based at either of the editors’ home institutions. The post is available from 1 November 2018 for a maximum of four years.
Role of the Editorial Assistant
The Editorial Assistant supports the Co-Editors-in-Chief in processing article submissions, communicating regularly with the Co-Editors-in-Chief and maintaining a broad overview of actions relating to new and outstanding submissions. Specifically, s/he shall be responsible for
- Twice weekly maintenance, checking, and data input into the ScholarOne system
- Maintaining regular contact with the Co-Editors-in-Chief, including weekly updates regarding new submissions.
- Maintaining regular contact with the Co-Editors-in-Chief regarding articles for which readers’ reports remain outstanding and/or in cases in which reviewers have declined and additional recommendations are required.
- Communicating with authors regarding any queries that they may have relating to the review/production/publication process in a timely manner.
- Maintaining regular contact with the Production team at CUP in order to ensure timely processing of articles accepted for publication in readiness for appearance in print.
- Forwarding accepted material to CUP on schedule
- Keeping track of all acceptance/rejection data.
- To attend, available monies permitting, the annual Editorial Board Meeting
- Informing Co-Editors-in-Chief in advance of annual leave/periods of absence so that they can be ready to maintain the system during these periods.
Skills and Experience Required
Excellent organisational and communication skills are essential for this post. An interest in academic publishing is also desirable. Preference may be given to candidates who have research expertise in American Studies.
- An up-to-date CV;
- A 1-page cover letter outlining your skills and, if applicable, experience.
The closing date for applications is Friday 12 October 2018 at 5:00pm. It is expected that shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in the week commencing Monday 22 October 2018 via Skype.